5 BEST HAPPY HOURS - WNBA CHAMPIONSHIP STYLE
Check out these top spots in downtown St. Paul to help calm your pregame nerves and (hopefully) celebrate after the Lynx and Sparks tip off
Image by David Sherman/Getty images
Come Thursday night the Minnesota Lynx and their loyal followers will be invading St. Paul’s Xcel Energy Center as the ladies take to the court in Game 5 of the WNBA Finals.
Should the Lynx beat the Los Angeles Sparks, they’ll become the league’s second team to win four championship, and they’ll break their Champion-Runner Up-Champion-Runner Up streak they’ve been on since winning their first title in 2011.
Be sure to arrive early in St. Paul, not just for parking but perhaps more importantly, to capitalize on these amazing happy hours.
Image by Todd Buchanan/Sidecar
- Pazzaluna. Oft-voted the best happy hour in the Twin Cities, this is a must-stop if you arrive in town early enough. Happy hour is from 4-6 p.m. and again from 9-11 p.m. This Italian hot spot has an amazing restaurant and bar, the latter of which has great cocktail, beer, wine and app specials you won’t find anywhere else—we're talking between $3 and $12.
- Kincaid’s. A bit more upscale but casual enough for a pregame jaunt, the happy hour is best in their Lounge from 3-6 p.m. and 9-10:30 p.m. With a separate happy hour and lounge menu, Kincaid’s is well known for classic American fare, but come game days, the cocktail and craft brew specials are the draw… along with their oven-roasted crab & artichoke dip and Kobe meatloaf sliders, of course.
- Great Waters Brewing Co. Located in the historic Hamm Building just two blocks from the court, this brewery has a great menu and happy hour specials from 3-6 p.m. and 10 p.m.-close.
- The St. Paul Grill, or its bar, more specifically, is a great place to hang out after the game as it is open until 1 a.m. This spot is a prestigious Sante Award finalist for its list of rare scotches, whiskies and cognacs and is a perennial winner of the Best Wine List by Wine Spectator magazine. What’s more, it’s less than a block from the Xcel.
- The Liffey Irish Pub (a great late-night appetizer menu with drink specials). Well worth a stop before or after the game.
- Ox Cart Ale House (crazy good drink specials from 3-6 p.m. and 11 p.m.-close)
- Salut Bar Americain (for a fancier late-night happy hour, post-game)